Friday, August 13, 2010

Awkward Encounters Ensue...

Well it has been an exciting few days... filled with job interviews, getting off at the wrong bus stops (AGAIN), and creepy guys asking for my number on the subway. Good times. The job interviews went well and I should hear back from them next week so we'll see!! I'm gonna need an income pretty soon though-- I'm blowin' through the list of "100 free things to do in New York" list at a rapid pace!

Last night I went with my dear friend Audrey to this Indian food restaurant where she personally knows the owner, Babu (yes, pronounced like Aladdin's monkey-friend)-- Babu learned my name quickly and continually came to our table asking how we were, and kissing Audrey on the cheek. Things were slightly uncomfortable... but we got free mango ice cream, so I guess it's fine? I sincerely wish I had taken a picture of the place-- it's a tiny long room that is decorated from floor to ceiling with sequins and streamers and blown up beach balls are hanging from the roof. They also do a birthday dance where Babu flicked on and off the light switch to create a strobe-light-like environment and the waiters sing what I can only assume was an Indian rendition of Happy Birthday. It was pretty magical. The the birthday table decided to open up their sparkling water or whatever it was and it spewed ALL OVER me and Audrey. Awesome. Babu was apologetic and gave out more hugs and kisses. We took this as our cue to leave. I'm definitely going back.

Tonight I went up to my friend Andrew's rooftop and looked at his incredible view of the city. Then I proceeded to go home on the Subway where this conversation transpired:

(I'm sitting on the R train drafting a text message- since there's no reception down under and this guy comes and sits next to me.)

Guy: Nice phone, what is it?
Me: Um, an iPhone
Guy: Oh cool... yeah I could use one of those for nursing.
Me: (confused) For what??
Guy: Nursing, I'm a nurse... what do you do?
Me: Social Work
Guy: Oh yeah there's a lotta jerks who do that
Me: (still confused) Um... okay.
Guy: Hey you wanna get a drink?
Me: (REALLY confused) No, I don't think so - I'm on my way home.
Guy: Oh not right now, like a rein check
Me: No, I don't think so
Guy: Are you single?
Me: (Ooo an OUT!) Nope.
Guy: Yes you are
Me: (Why can he see right through me?! RUDE.) No, I'm not.
Guy: Are you married?
Me: No (WHY did I need to be honest now??)
Guy: Then it doesn't count!
**uncomfortable silence**
Guy: Can I look you up on Facebook?
Me: Um, I guess
Guy: What's your name?
Me: Sara Henderson (CRAP why did I just say my last name?! I hate myself!!!)
Guy: Sara with an h?
Me: Yes, there's an h (WHAT?! Yeah, cause THAT'S gonna keep him from finding you, Sara-- IDIOT)
Guy: Awesome- see ya. (Guy exits train)

... I feel like I made 18 mistakes in that exchange. Moral of this story... always pretend to be a mute late at night on the train. And from now on I'm married with three children. Needless to say, I changed my Facebook settings so he won't be able to find me. Not sure why I cracked under the pressure.

All in all-- an eventful start to the weekend. Thank you for all your prayers and support during this time of transition-- God has been so faithful and continues to amaze me each day!! Can't wait to see what this next week holds...

3 comments:

  1. Indian food....gross. That interaction on the subway...priceless. Can't wait to Skype you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SARA!!!!!! THIS IS WHY I GOT YOU THE TASER!!!!!!!!!!!! Next guy who approaches you and won't stop bugging you-you turn, smile nicely, and tell him he has two seconds to move before he's taser'd and pees all over himself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at your Subway conversation. I guess I should have practiced with you on coming up with an alternate ego...aka "Ava Taylor" (Stef) or "Allison Walker" (that's my Vegas name). :)

    ReplyDelete