Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oh where are those windshield wipers?



For those of you who know me well, you may know two small facts about me... 1) I do not like driving and therefore was more than happy to sell my car and move to the land of public transit and 2) I love rainy weather and prefer it to the sun (No... not just because I'm extremely pale). Both of these facts may have changed about me today, due to the flash flooding experience I endured today, alongside my dear friend Janell (the one who's not me in the above pics) who has been up visiting for the past five days. Though we were armed with umbrellas and had established transit routes with the least amount of exposure to the elements, nothing could have prepared us for the afternoon of wetness that was to ensue. As Janell and I stood waiting for the bus with no awning for sanctuary for at least 15 minutes in the pouring rain, I- for the first time in two weeks- began to miss my beloved Nissan and her ever-faithful windshield wipers. And as I wrung out my clothes after we arrived back at my apartment, I decided that perhaps rain was not in fact my favorite weather-- perhaps only from afar... under shelter... taking a nap. So... next time you're complaining about the rain storm as you run from your office to your parking spot ten feet away... remember to be thankful for your windshield wipers!

These past few days have been crazy and awesome. I'm going to share some of the highlights in bullet form, so as to not lose your attention...

  • We saw Mike Myers walking through Little Italy carrying a hockey stick. Yes, I'm sure it was him- Janell spotted him first and then Angie and I stalked him down to verify it. Apparently celebrities play hockey just like the rest of us.
  • We helped Angie move into her new dorm room... which is so much nicer than my Baylor dorm ever pretended to be. WHY is it so expensive to go there?!
  • Saw a speed limit sign for 17 mph. Don't even think about going 18 mph.
  • Janell, Chris, and I went to a comedy show at the Upright Citizens Brigade. And it was HILARIOUS. Tears and stomach cramps all around.
  • The power went out in my apt so my landlord (who's about 80) had to get up and switch the breaker like 3 times to make it work again... and he was in his cute old-man pajamas. Ok this isn't really an interesting highlight... he was just so cute in the pajamas! I should have taken a pic, I know.
  • I had my first rat sighting... no- not in my apartment. He/she was tucked safely in the subway tracks. You'll know when I see a rat in my apartment... because that will be the day I return to Texas!
  • Ate one of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life at the Majestic Delicatessen Cafe... it's all in the name.
  • Went to church tonight and it was great. Loved being with fellow believers and worshiping together!
  • Had my laundry done. I know, I'm such a poser for having my background as the laundromat, and maybe this makes me snobby, but I made use of the "same-day laundry drop-off service" at the nearest laundromat. I dropped off all my clothes, towels, etc and the lovely laundry lady, Linda (perfect for the alliteration, I know), washed, bleached, dry-cleaned (when necessary) and perfectly folded/hung all my laundry- and hid dryer sheets within the folds to keep that fresh scent. All within a day. While I was playing in the city. Now, I could have done the laundry myself for approximately $10-$12... Linda charged me $15. Safe to say, I'm never doing my laundry again. No shame!
  • I apologize for the length of the last bullet point.
So as you can see- life has been eventful. I will be having a meeting with HR either Tuesday or Wednesday of this week and starting my new job within the next couple of weeks as soon as everything gets processed and whatnot. In the meantime, it's more navigating this crazy city and figuring out where I fit!

Also... I'm going to sweaty yoga again tomorrow. No, I do not know how it happened. Yes, I will be bringing twice the amount of water. No, I will not be wearing boxer briefs like my old man friend. Yes, I am attempting to sweat out the thirty pounds of junk food I ate in the last 72 hours.

Have a fabulous August 23rd!

2 comments:

  1. Sara, having a laundry lady makes me want to move to NYC. Texas (I) misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it is probably bad that I secretly want you to see a rat in your apartment so you come back, huh?! haha!!!

    Miss you TONS and am loving all your postings!!!

    ReplyDelete