Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Start Spreadin' The News...






Well folks- I made it. I'm here in NYC, unemployed, and ready for this little adventure!

My dad and I left on Friday on our two and a half day trek across the country. To the left is a photo of my dad and I at the Arkansas welcome center. I feel like this pic really narrates the trip for you. There were a lot of rocking chairs involved- primarily because of the frequency at which we stopped at the Cracker Barrels along the way.

When we arrived, after hours of Barry Manilow playlists and meals of powdered donuts, we were joined by my sweet landlady and her husband who helped us start unloading the truck until my friends from good ole T-High, Andrew, Sarah, and Matt, arrived to help unloading. Definitely could NOT have done that without everyone involved!! Not only were we moving a bunch of stuff, but we were moving it up two flights of stairs in narrow hallways. I could hear Ross in the FRIENDS episode shouting "PI-VOT!" as we were navigating the couch. So after about four hours of moving (yep, FOUR HOURS), everything was in place and I was standing in my very own NYC apartment!


Tomorrow I have an interview and so today I decided to pop on over to my friend Andrew's house (who's also, conveniently, unemployed-- hey anyone need a gifted, fresh Assistant Account Executive at your Advertising Agency??) which is but a mere two miles from my apartment, so we could have a job searching slash researching the agency I'm applying for party. My new best friend, the HopStop App on the iPhone told me the trip would be simple, just walk on down to the bus stop, hop on the Q58 (I made that number up... I already forgot the bus... I'm never getting home!) and head to the R stop and just take the R to Andrew's. EASY.

... two hours later I arrived. Yep, two miles in two hours. With an iPhone giving me directions. Pathetic. But hey, I got here and we're job searching/researching/blog-making and I'm feeling hopeful.

Tomorrow's interview is with an after-school program in the Lower East Side in Manhattan where I would be providing counseling and mentoring to teens and their families involved in the program. So we'll see how that goes! In the meantime, it's Subway map studying, job searching, and deli hopping for me. Start planning your visits! As you can see- my calendar is FILLING up :)

I definitely miss Texas... but I'm excited about this new little (huge) world... so please continue along this journey with me!

6 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for you! You have so many new things to admire and discover. I am j-e-a-l-o-u-s...I can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds likes it been a good start to a great adventure! Keep holding on! Miss you and so does Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave gal for sure!!! Glad you made it safely. Love the pic with your dad & the rocking chairs!!! I can just picture your journey. Sorry I wasn't with you to help move you up the stairs-ha. Just think of it as exercise without paying a gym membership!!!
    Miss you & choir hasn't even begun yet. Praying for your job search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sara, the bus thing made me laugh. :-) You'll get the hang of it I'm sure!! Can't wait to see you - 8 days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, I'm glad to hear you made it and I hope the job hunt goes well. I they knew you like we do the would hire you on the spot.
    You are like one of those icebreaker ships that makes a way for those who will follow. Get everything all scoped out for A.R.
    We will always have a room for you here in the great state of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you! This is awesome. Plus I already have another browser up searching for flights from DFW to NY... :)

    ReplyDelete