Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Better late than never?


Once again I must apologize for the tardiness of this posting. But hey-- at least now I have a job to use as an excuse rather than just pure laziness!

These past couple of weeks have had a running theme of me trying to figure out how to adjust back to the days of bedding down at a reasonable hour and rising early in the morn - preferably without having to hit the snooze button more than 12 times. Spending a month with no morning schedule was not exactly a step in the right direction of me learning how to set an internal clock. I think it might be a lost cause. Guess I'll keep setting all four of those alarms! (Don't judge.)

So two weekends ago, my old Baylor friends Scott and Danielle came to play in ole NYC and had the great idea to take the Staton Island Ferry (FREE!!) to get a close-up glimpse of Lady Liberty. It was so fun! And it's the closest I can to Her (I feel it's appropriate to capitalize the H) without paying an arm and a leg. Well done with the free tip, Danielle :)

Note the ferry that's really close full of people... who paid $18... suckers!! Something else that was awesome that Danielle, Scott and I did was attend the Upright Citizens Brigade FREE Improv show. This is an Improv group started by Amy Poehler and friends and now and again she hosts the show. Well lo and behold, as we take our seats for the show, who should appear but Mrs. Poehler herself, accompanied by Horatio Sans, Seth Myers, Mr. BELDING from Saved By The Bell and Kenneth and Lutz from 30 Rock (I don't know their real names!). It was hilarious and awesome. I took Angie and Andrew with me the next Sunday in hopes that the same All-Star cast would be there... and none of them were. Oops. My bad! But hey-- all free laughs, so no complaints!

Things at work are going well-- I officially knew things were going to work out earlier this week when a male co-worker of mine, an educated man in his late twenties, came into my office (that I share with three other people) and started playing Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid and he, another co-worker and myself sang along to the ENTIRE song. While the other co-workers watched in awe (or maybe annoyance... but I'll pretend it was awe). It was beautiful... I wish you could have been there. I knew then that no matter how tough the job gets... I can always break for a Disney sing-along and the world will be right again.



"What's that word again? Oh.. feet..." Gotta love her.

A couple of days ago I was at Starbucks in the evening reading and I met an older man from Albania who sat down at my table and began talking to me. Actually it was silent until he started laughing at me, when I realized I was singing along to John Lennon's "Imagine" at full voice as I was reading in public... story of my life. Anyway, we started chatting and he informs me that he's lived in the same apartment in the Lower East Side since 1960. He pays $200/month in rent for his two-bedroom apartment because of rent control. In the Lower East Side. His neighbor has the same apartment and pays $3000/month. Yes, really. It may have been slightly inappropriate since I had just met this gentleman, but I requested that should anything happen where he "moves out" of his apartment (slash, we both knew I meant when he kicks the bucket), I'd be happy to take over his lease and we wouldn't need to mention anything to anyone about it. I think he's really considering it. Things are looking promising! It was lovely to chat with him though-- he had a lot of great stories. Apparently he goes to that Starbucks every night so I'm hoping to see him again!!

I've had some pretty awkward run-ins with attempted pick up lines... or simple compliments/observations?? Yesterday I was walking to work and someone shouted at me "Yo snowflake!" and kept walking. I didn't actually make eye contact so I can't be SURE this comment was directed at me... but since I am the only white person I ever see anywhere near where I work.. I'm assuming he was calling out to me and my alabaster skin. It was new- I'll give him that.
Today I was walking to training and a man in a van was stopped at a stop sign and as I walked by (too slowly apparently) he says to me "Hey- those are some sexy feet".
....
...
..
What?? I didn't even know how to respond. I was literally rendered speechless and just kept walking. A) I don't think feet have the ability to be sexy, B) My feet were half covered in mud because I make inappropriate shoe choices in the rain, and C) How did he come up with that so quickly??
And then there was the time I was walking down the stairs to the subway and a man walking up the stairs came close to my face with wide eyes and says in a strange whisper "You have nice eyes". Kind of alarming. But, thank you? I just don't know how to respond to these unorthodox comments. Guess I'll take the compliments where I can get them? And yes, I know, being called a snowflake probably shouldn't be taken as a compliment... but I'm gonna pretend that was his intention.

I booked my ticket home for Christmas last week so I'm PUMPED about that! I only get 5 days at home since I'm a real adult now... but I'm thankful and can't wait to spend time with the fam, friends, and Chick-Fil-A! Until then... it's more singin' out loud and walkin' around ole NYC with my sexy feet!


2 comments:

  1. Ohh I have missed your posts!!! You are just becoming a lil New Yorker...and I love it!!! Make sure you put visit STARRY somewhere in your Christmas visit!! Hey I know...we can meet at Chick-Fil-A!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! That's so exciting that you're living in NYC now. I read the post about being offered a kilo of crack before this one, and I was laughing out loud at my desk. After reading how much you can't wait to get home at Christmas for family, friends, and Chick-Fil-A, I had to comment-- there are fewer things that make my trips home from Boston more rewarding than eating at Chick-Fil-A more often than necessary when I'm home in Texas. Good luck with living in the city and with your new job!

    ReplyDelete