Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Love the 90's

Because I have a ridiculously bad memory, I keep a running log of things I want to blog about in list form on my phone. I had a pretty good one going... and then my phone decided to erase the list and re-load a list I made like a month ago. No idea why... and I'm real annoyed. But anyway- I will try and do my best to remember!

I need to let everyone know that while New York seems to be an advanced city- at the forefront of innovation... I can't help but feeling sometimes like I'm living in the 90's. Last week at work, I was informed that our computers don't have the Internet on them, but we have a "computer lab" where we can use the Internet if we need to get a "map" for our home visits or help a client find a job or something like that. My days of chatting to Josh and Erika via the Google chatter throughout my work day are no longer. Farewell brother/friend :( I was then instructed by my supervisor to handwrite my schedule for the week. Put it on my calendar on Outlook Express and share it with my co-workers? Nope, write it out. By hand. I asked if there was an electronic copy available and she handed me a floppy disk. Yep, that's right-- the black, squre floppy disk we all remember from fifteen years ago. I had some trouble remembering how to insert the disk into the ancient computers. But I finally administered the disk and retrieved the document. I then got on the bus, went home to fill up my ice trays and watched some kids play hopscotch. The nineties folks... if you miss this beloved decade, please come join me!

This weekend I went to a friend's art show and afterwards we went to a Milk Bar. What's a milk bar, you might ask? Well... it's exactly what it sounds like.. kind of. It serves all different kinds of milk-- regular, strawberry, chocolate, and cereal milks (flavored with different cereals- so like the fruit loop cereal milk kind of tastes like the milk after you finish eating fruit loops, etc.). They also make milkshakes with the different milks and random soft serve flavors. My friend decided to sample the potato chip ice cream... it was as disgusting as it sounds. Imagine taking a potato, pouring milk and sugar over it, and chilling it for a few hours. Then dig in. SICK. They also serve pie (as you should, when there's so much milk) so I had what they call crack pie. Imagine pecan pie without the pecans and condensed into an even more intense filling. It was delicious... and addictive... just like crack. So, my experience at the milk bar began a little shakily with the potato chip ice cream disaster, but ended well. I'm definitely gonna need to go back again!

I have officially decided on a church here and a small group bible study that I will attend each week. I'm so very thankful that the Lord has provided this community! It's been a real blessing to be surrounded by other believers-- even if only a couple of times a week. The church is called Apostles NYC, pastored by JR Vassar (A Texan!)- so feel free to check it out online.

Work is going well-- I'm getting slightly more busy and getting to know my co-workers better. It's off to more training for me tomorrow. Hooray! Maybe we'll all get our own individual floppy disks to take home with the handouts. Hey- a girl can dream!

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!! i LOL'ed a lot reading this!!
    and- i think laura should open up a milk bar with her cupcake store! shes gotta get on this!.. i will inform her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love being reminded that you get to work with floppy disks everyday and that crack pie is awaiting me in two months, I really would love an update! So please take a computer lab break sometime in the near future so you can get on this crazy thing called the internet and let us know what is happening. Love you schwester :)

    ReplyDelete