Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Things That Have Made January Bearable

Let's face it-- January is the worst. Christmas is over, no one wants to take down the decorations but it's even more depressing to leave them up, there's no more vacation, and you can't feel as confident saying "I know I've already had five cookies, but it's a HOLIDAY!" This year I felt like January was extra hard since I had such a short time in Texas and had to rush back up here so I could walk 12 miles to work in 8 feet of snow. I started to really question whether or not I could live here through the winter-- slash started to look into tropical winter home options. When I remembered that I'm a social worker and can't afford cable, I snapped back into reality and started to focus on ways to make January awesome. With the help of my fabulous family and friends... it's actually been a pretty great month! Layers and all! So without further adieu, my list of things that have made January bearable...

1) Christmas Presents
I got some pretty great Christmas presents this year-- and definitely some out of the box ones (Thanks Aunt Janet for the "booty pop"-- and thank you Henderson gene for the flat behind so that gifts like these are embarrassingly appropraite.) Probably one of my favorite gifts was from my brother and sister. Now I'm a pretty plain girl. I like my neutral tones and I tend to jump on a trend about a year after it's popular, so I'm not really out there with my taste. Thankfully, Josh and Stacy are there to help me dive in to unexplored lands and experience new things. Such as a Mallard duck tea pot. I mean you really don't even need the picture, cause it's EXACTLY what you would think it looks like. I thought I might go crazy and get a red kettle... maybe even a green one! But nope-- my bro and sis felt like a Mallard duck was appropriate. And I'm not gonna lie, I love it. I mean what's NOT to love? Although I do feel a bit uncomfortable each time I pour the water out and I have to decapitate the duck. But he recovers every time! And I mean, why wouldn't I love having that hunter's lodge/bachelor pad feeling every time I go into the kitchen?

Another AWESOME gift I got-- an electric blanket. Now I understand that this is probably a gift most suited for your loved ones who are now in nursing facilities... but there has been no greater moments this frigid January than when I nestle into my heated bed (dual controls thank you very much) and drift off to sleep, momentarily forgetting the 5 feet of snow and eight layers I have to wear each day. One day I found my roommate enjoying the blanket...

JEALOUS.
(PS We don't share a bed for those of you who just got uncomfortable... She just couldn't resist the power of the blanket!)

2) Roommate Dinners


It was super lame when I was back in the NYC all by myself eating sandwiches and cereal for dinner during my depression. Who likes to cook for one?! The ole roomie FINALLY returned from her Texas travels (YAY!) and so I strapped the apron back on and started cooking again! Gourmet meals followed by Pillsbury cookies and chocolate mint milk? Yes, please.

3) Sweet Treats... And Andrew's Faces

It's no secret that the real reason I moved to NYC is because of the extensive sweet treat availabilities. Tiff's Treats and The Yogurt Experience were good, Austin.... but they got NOTHIN' on sweet treats here! So, Andrew, Leticia, and I have made some special efforts this blustery season to get out there, endure the cold, and keep sampling! Here are some of my faves-- if you'll notice, Andrew has a disability and is unable to take a normal photo. Another thing that has added to my January happiness :)



At the Milk Bar. Strawberry-Banana Milkshake, Cinnamon Bun Pie and Banana Creme Cake Truffles. Mmmm.


If you can get past the face... note the beauty of the crepe!



World's BEST Cheesecake. And also, Andrew looks like Popeye a bit here.

4) Chai Tea Lattes
I love chai tea lattes. I mean there just aren't many things better, really. I've made it my personal goal to attempt to try all the chais in the city and assess the best one(s). This particular chai, pictured above, was tasty enough but most impressive probably was the cinnamon swirl. The barista spent some serious time on it-- quite the art form. Kinda want to quit my job and become a barista to learn these skills.

But lets be real... no matter how many new things I try, I will still always love escaping the harsh January cold by cozying up with a book in the Starbucks and paying $5.00 for a drink I could easily make myself at home. There's just something familiar and comforting about it. I know that I'll give my high-maintenance order and over-pay and stand in line like cattle ... and it'll be the same tasty result in the end. Thank you to all you donors who provided me with Starbucks cards for Christmas. They have been, embarrassingly, already used. So I am open for more donations! YOU can join this list as things that make January bearable! :)

5) Warm Clothing

Cold weather is not a joke up here! Imagine my shock and surprise when I found out that a "snow day" did not in fact mean you sleep in and go frolic outside while making a two foot snowman, wearing the scarf you get to wear three times a year. No no-- snow days here mean you put on every piece of clothing you own, and you continue on with life as you know it. Snow all of a sudden went from being the ultimate winter experience, to my nemesis. The first day back to work? I slid on my galoshes, ready to hike through the unplowed streets and puddles of slush... and then I fell down an escalator on the way to the subway. Welcome to winter, Sara. Welcome. Perk? I purchased this lovely down coat, complete with fur on the hood...

I realize I look like I have some special needs in this photo... but I think it truly shows the joy I experience when I'm in the puffy jacket. My days of making fun of fur on hoods are over. It's so toasty! I'm a complete convert. Looks like this coat and i are going to be best friends for the next two months at least. Bring it on!

And on a closing note-- does anyone want to take a look at Wednesday's forecast and tell me what those bouncing balls mean?
Leticia: "What do you think this means for Wednesday?"
Sara: "Golf balls raining? I think it means I'm calling in sick!"

So January-- though you thought you had me down in the beginning, you are no match for the awesome wintery fun that has been had here in NYC. I'm feeling positive. Or at least I was until I saw that the low on Saturday is 8 degrees. I hadn't even considered the possibility of single-digit days. Looks like I'm gonna be utilizing ALL my sick days and more! Happy January!


6 comments:

  1. I love that picture of you in the down coat!!! Even BEFORE I read that you thought you look like you have special needs! I didn't even think that!!! :-) Friend...I am jealous of your adventures and snow - although I don't think I would want that much! Please be careful in the golf ball monsoon that is eminent. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew looks hilarious in every shot. I'm glad to know others have this disorder as well.

    I really really really want to partake in your sweat treats of New York. Are they just as delicious when it's not as cold outside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special needs!!!!! Hope you called in sick Wednesday - who needs bouncing golf balls in their life when Netflix awaits?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling better right now...February is a little lame too but we'll get through it together;):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! Loved this post!

    1.I, myself, have been looking for an electric blanket...

    2.And the library I work at is connceted to a cafe that makes an AMAZING chai...AMAZING.

    Loved your post! And really want to come to New York!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm, mallard tea kettle.. i might need to know the details of this, im thinking this might Need to be in my father-in-laws house! :)
    i love how i can hear you say every word of your posts! haha you write So well & you Crack me up friend, right. up. love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete