Sunday, January 2, 2011

Holidays with the Hendersons


Well, the last couple of weeks have been CRAZY and simultaneously awesome :) On December 23rd, I jetted out of my job a couple of hours early to catch my flight from JFK and arrived in Austin around 7:00pm and dove into the loving arms of my mom and sister! It was quite the reunion...

That guy standing behind us was also really excited to have me home... you can tell from his expression.

Mom and Stacy quickly solidified their role as favorite family members when I got to the car and Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets were waiting for me!! (Sorry Dad and Josh-- you'll have to work harder next time). Stacy had conducted a "friends poll" and contacted some of my friends whose numbers she had to determine which kinds of dipping sauces I like best with the nuggets-- so thank you to those friends who know my love of Polynesian and Chick-fil-A sauce. SOME friends need to review my sauce preferences... you know who you are.

Christmas this year was a little different thanks to Heathrow Airport and their idiocy. Josh was supposed to fly in to New York the day before my flight and we were going to fly out together.... but then London received 3 inches of snow and the world came to an end. Two cancelled flights and like 4 hours on the phone later, Josh learned that he would not be able to get to Texas until Sunday... the 26th. My BFF Erika also received the same news, as she also was making the trip from the Motherland. My Christmas plans were experiencing an earthquake of uncertainty. Nevertheless, both of them arrived to the Great State and we were able to play -- even though it was a short time. Our family decided to move Christmas to Monday so that we pretend like none of these snafoos ever happened. PLUS when Christmas is on a fake day, you can go shopping directly after receiving your Christmas presents! It's brilliant-- I think it may become a new Henderson family tradition. So here are some highlights from the short yet refreshing holiday...


Christmas baking!! Those are sausage balls my friends... delish.
We spend a lot of our holidays in the kitchen... it just feels right.

Our fabulous Aunt Janet and Meme from Florida mailed us a box of TREATS, including this taxi cab they purchased during their Thanksgiving NYC trip filled with...
Meme's HO CAKE! (Don't worry yourself with the derivation of this term... just know that it is TASTY!) Not sure if it's okay to pack so many refrigerated items in a non-refrigerated shipping container... but that question sure didn't slow us down! Thanks Florida fam!
First Christmas dinner. I mean, just because Josh wasn't there yet didn't mean we were going to STARVE ourselves, come on!
Yay Josh is here!! Can't keep the Hendersons down BRITAIN!
Mom wore her "Snow Happens" sweatshirt... which is hilarious on so many levels. In fact, I think Mom is wearing a snowman shirt in all the pictures I have posted of her. This was unintentional... but oh so appropriate.
Christmas morning #2! We start by sorting the presents...
Then we open the stockings (I wasn't kidding about the snowman shirts... you know you love them!)
"Mixed nuts AND new pens?! What more could a guy ask for?!"
The grandparents are also visited by Saint Nick...
Who is aware of their love for puzzle books!
Then I read the Christmas story aloud. Because let's be real-- that's what this shindig is all about! And also, I really like reading aloud :)

You'll notice that there are not any pictures posted of me on Christmas morning beyond this shot of my hands. I blame myself and thank my sister for her efforts in trying to help me see what would happen if I did not listen to her. This conversation had taken place that morning:

Me: Stacy.. why are you doing your hair?
Stacy: Because Sara, you know there are going to be pictures taken and we always look rough and this year I'm preparing better!
Me: Whatever that's dumb.

... She was correct, of course. But oh so kind to post pictures of me anyway on Facebook so you can consult her photos if you'd like to see Sara's Face on Christmas Morning: Uncut.

Lesson learned.

Josh had a recorder in his stocking. Yep, like the one you learned to play in 5th grade. No one knows why he got that-- or why we learn to play the recorder in the 5th grade. But he sure did try to do a remix of Three Blind Mice! Keep workin' Josh.... you'll get there!
I asked for some Ugg boots for Christmas. Now I know they're ugly and in Texas typically worn with short shorts and white v-necks by sorority girls(at least at Baylor) but they actually serve a purpose here in chilly NYC and I thought they would be useful for me to have since I've regularly been losing feeling in my toes due to the harsh conditions!

So my mom and dad ordered them off a website where they were discounted... and then China charged their credit card and no boots were received. (Yes, China-- the whole country). So my creative parents crafted these guys and wrapped them up anyway as a sort of consolation prize. So clever :)
Then we started baking for Christmas Meal #2. Stacy had the brilliant idea to make yeast rolls in the formation of a Christmas tree! SO colorful! Unfortunately the yeast did not rise and we ended up throwing them around the house later rather than eating them. Good thought though! Definitely something to build on for next year. You know it looks awesome!
This is what Josh and Granddad did while the rest of us slaved in the kitchen. Thanks, buddy.
Leo thinks he's a lapdog. And KNOWS he has effectively replaced all three of us children. HIS Ugg boots came in. Whatever.

I also got to see some friends while I was in Texas... all for very brief encounters since I'm now a grown-up and have to work all the time. (Anyone with ideas for alternatives to working for a living, I'm all ears!)


Brunch with Tabi and Laura!! We really wanted to make a Flat Carrie since she couldn't make it but there was no time! But not to worry because...
I saw her later at the Macy's shoe department! Haha-- love you, Temple. :)
Then Erika, Kara, and Whitney and I met up for a little gift exchange. I think you can see on her face that Kara didn't want anything more this Christmas than to own Laura Bush's Memoir.
Erika's three favorite things-- Crosswords, Silk n Shine, and Starbucks.
AND Whitney can't handle photo posing. Sorry Whit-- this is all I had and I couldn't leave you out!

There were some good group shots taken, I promise. But of course they weren't on my camera, so this is all I got!

Overall, my Christmas vaca was short but lovely. I miss Texas already but NYC has been fun these past few days and I'm sure 2011 holds some exciting adventures! More posts to come regarding my return to the snow-filled city and New Years Eve festivities :) Merry belated Christmas!!

4 comments:

  1. To be fair, I think the first pic of mom she's wearing a skiing penguin, but I think it still counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. snow-kin animals/mythical creatures are all in one big category...it DEFINITELY still counts!!!

    Sara - i LOVE your blog and love that I got to see you for even just a couple hours while you were here!!! AND i love you!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to note that I indeed told Stacy Polynesian and Chick-Fil-A sauce. Who knows you, baby? :-) Between that and our identical Christmas gifts, we are like the same freaking person. Haha...miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. only true friends meet up & exchange gifts in the middle of a department store!.. just sayin! ;) LOVE catching up on yur blog, i was SO behind!!

    ReplyDelete