Thursday, December 2, 2010

Once Upon A Time... We Carried A Christmas Tree To Queens From Manhattan

Okay so I know I was supposed to blog each day about Thanksgiving this week to share all the awesomeness that was had ... but I had to insert the experience I had this evening with Leticia and Angie. We first went and had some awesome Indian food at the place with the crazy lights ...

Then we had some amazing cheesecake at this Italian bakery. On the way to the bakery, we spotted the Christmas trees outside of a little grocery store. I have been telling Leticia for weeks that I was determined to get a real Christmas tree this year. She always responded with looks of doubt and a slight smirk, as if to say "Okay, that's a cute idea... I'm not carrying a tree up those stairs!"

So as we passed by the trees I stopped to assess the prices and sturdiness of the little guys. I consulted the salesman and a conversation somewhat like this transpired...

Me: "How much is the tree?"
Salesman: "Tree?"
Me: "Yeah, these trees, how much are they?"
Salesman: (Funny look... then proceeds to flip over the pricetag that's in front of my face)
Me: "Oh okay, great. Then what happens? Do I need a stand?"
Salesman: "Stand?"
Me: (Excessive hand gestures) "Yeah, a stand? Right?"
Salesman: "Stand?"
Me: (Realizing I may need an interpreter... good thing Leticia speaks fluent Spanish)
Leticia: ammused silence
Me: (Continued gestures) "A stand- like to hold it?"
Salesman: (Grabs the stand) "Oh yes- $15"
Me: "Okay... I'll take it. Angie- hold this tree. Come inside the store and hold the tree- it's fine!"
Angie: (Look of hatred) "For real? We're taking the tree in the store? Is that allowed?"
Me: "It's fine! I'm a customer! Bring the tree!"
Angie: (Holds the tree inside with continued look of hatred)
Me: (Excessive happiness)
We then proceed to carry the tree seven blocks and stop at the CVS (naturally) to pick up some decorations. They didn't make the cut for the big move!

Me: "Angie- hold the tree inside, we have to get decorations!"
Angie: (Same look- I'm sure you're getting the picture now) "We are NOT taking the tree into CVS!"
Me: "It's fine- it has an automatic door- let's go!"
Angie: (Holding the tree in CVS- in disbelief)
Woman in Wheelchair: (As she rolls by Angie) "If only I had a camera"
We purchased our festive decorations and proceeded on home. Did we shove the tree in the back of our suburban and turn the radio and heat on as we journeyed back to the apt? NOPE-- we surely did head on down to the L train with tree in hand. Were people a bit surprised? Perhaps. Annoyed? Probably. Was the train completely packed? Of COURSE. Here's a little idea of how cool we looked:
There was a lovely man (slightly intoxicated) who helped us brace the tree for the ride and informed us that we should add aspirin to the water for the tree. I think maybe he just had a headache. Who knows? I didn't add any aspirin-- cause really, who owns aspirin??

Anyway- we trekked the half mile home after the subway ride, mounted the three flights of stairs, and finally got back to our humble abode. We proceeded to decorate to the crooning of ole Frank, Dean, and Sammy on the Rat Pack Christmas CD. Does it get better than that? Nope- don't think so!

All in all-- one of my favorite nights in the city! I promise to tell about Thanksgiving soon-- this just had to be shared!



Hooray for the Christmas season!!!


4 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've ever read!!! "It's fine." hahahaha I'm so glad you forced the Christmas spirit on those you love :) Totes worth it - that tree is presh! And with the stockings! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! This post made my day! You are so funny! I love reading your blog! Thanks for keeping it updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. most awesome post to date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete