Friday, August 26, 2011

What's Next... Locusts??

Well I'm sure as you all know from the obsessive media coverage, NYC has had quite the memorable week thus far. On Tuesday, I was sitting in my office, playing words with friends pretending to document my notes (What? Don't act like you don't do the same thing!) when all of a sudden the building starts shaking. This conversation happens:

Me: (to my coworker Mike) Um, do you feel that? Are you shaking my chair?
Mike: **silence....runs from room**
CHAOS ENSUES IN HALLWAY

I then see our supervisor who is deemed "safety coordinator" literally PUSH some co-workers out of the way and run out the front door. I finish playing my 33 point word and follow the crowd out the front.

We then stand outside for at least 45 minutes, checking the news (mainly Facebook) obsessively to see what happened and then finally... the words I had been waiting to hear...

Boss: "Well... because of the earthquake... we aren't going to MAKE you stay--"
Me: "Bye!"

So I left the sturdy, one-story building surrounded by nothing, hopped on the L train, and headed into the city full of skyscrapers to run some errands. Best earthquake ever. I was able to get stuff done and head home and continue packing because on Saturday, Janell and I are movin' on to Brooklyn...

... Or so we thought.

Enter Irene. I thought I had left the crazy hurricane prep back in Texas, but oh how it has followed and intensified. The city started evacuating, bottled water is gone, and ALL subways and buses are being shut down as of 12:00pm on Saturday. We continued to plan for our move though. I mean come on-- what's a little RAIN?? We paid a deposit!

So we made a Target run for some essentials (toilet paper, tuna... double stuffed oreos-- the usual) and as we're heading home ready to pack up the remaining stuff, we get a call from the movers who apparently decided to pansy out and said they can't move us until Monday.

So there we were... waiting for the bus... bags full of gummy worms and Reese's... doomed to stay in Queens through the weekend.

So here I sit... on my bed, surrounded by boxes, with a slight sugar high, waiting for Irene to pass through, sure to disappoint the crazy New Yorkers surrounded by their candles and batteries. All I can say, is that I'm not sure there are any natural disasters left to hit here, so I'm glad to have gotten them all out of the way during the first year.

For the next two days I foresee a lot of Netflix, board games, and steam of consciousness blogging. Get excited. I know I am.

1 comment:

  1. love love love! you should've gotten some strawberries to go along with those oreos.

    ReplyDelete