Sunday, May 15, 2011

Glutton For Punishment


Many of you may remember a couple of years back when I decided it would be a good idea to pretend I'm athletic and run a half marathon (Feel free to experience the journey yourself with my first blog attempt). Approximately five minutes after completing said half marathon, I swore off running for life. Well... as it so happened... I am apparently going back on my word and have started training for the Queens Half Marathon, scheduled to take place on July 31st. (No... not like Queen Elizabeth... like Queens, the borough where I live-- a shocking number of people have responded to me saying "We have a queen?" or "Are you going to run in London?" - so I felt the need to give that preface. Slash perhaps I should start making smarter friends. But I digress...) My dear roommate Leticia (who is athletically hard-core) somehow convinced me to enter this world of "fitness" and "exercise" once again. Guess I'll keep pretending there's a "runner's high" actually out there somewhere... I certainly never experienced it last time! Except maybe that moment each week when I rewarded myself with a Blizzard.

Here is a copy of the training schedule we have been following:

Note the two weeks crossed off, as if I'm a five year old counting down to Christmas (...or a 24 year old counting down to Christmas.. whatever).

And HERE are the little bread crumbs along the path that have kept me going...

Homemade scones and cream. Whatever, I worked out. I deserved it!
I found Magnum bars. I was obsessed with these in Turkey. Primarily because they were one of four things I could eat there that didn't involve "yogurt".
Please refrain from commenting on the fact that my picture is sideways-- need I comment yet again about my technological retardation?

So in your spare time, feel free to send me lavish packages of ice packs, heating pads, and those weird foil blankets they wrap you in at the end of the race (what IS that?). And if you find yourself in Queens July 31st, strap on those running shoes and join in! What, like it's hard?

7 comments:

  1. Friend...you are awesome and BRAVE! I still have no aspirations to run one of these but I will continue with my 5Ks!!! :-) YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't support this, but I'm excited about running together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy- why do you not support this??!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!! BACK IN!! Way to go, so proud of you. Sigh... I think miles 1-13 are probably the hardest. Glad for you....

    and you found MAGNUMS??? I have been seeing advertisements but have yet to see them in person. Those white chocolates got me through many-a-tough days overseas... bahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, your Magnums picture is sideways...

    ReplyDelete
  6. She killed herself and her knees and her ankles and everything else last time and swore off running. She also hates running so this isn't a sustainable exercise regimen for her, so I don't support it. But I do support her, so whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so I went past the Magnum picture a couple of times so that I could read the posts in order that I missed, and I was just waiting for a story about condoms... It was a let down.

    ReplyDelete