Monday, March 7, 2011

Fun With The Vegans



A couple of weeks ago my dear friends, Katie and Jamy, came to visit me in the Big City. I fondly refer to these girls as "the vegans" or for short sometimes, "the veges" (pronouced veegs). During my time in Austin, Katie and Jamy introduced me to a way of life in which you don't eat any animal products: including meats, dairy, eggs, etc. This was all a shock to me since I can't really even think of a meal on the spot that doesn't include some type of animal product. But as we continued to be friends, I sampled some of Jamy's delicious vegan-style cooking and I was convinced that one could actually eat normal-ish food that is tasty without having some animal parts sprinkled about. SO, I was excited to have them come to New York where we could sample some of the vegan-specific cuisine that is scattered through the city. Thankfully Leticia is a restaurant-searcher extraordinaire and she quickly compiled a list of places to go that promised pure vegan cuisine. The trip was amazing and the time spent with these girls was such a huge blessing. They're such awesome women of God and were such an encouragement to me during their time here! I'm going to let the pictures tell the rest of the story...

We started out at Milon- our favorite Indian restaurant. Yes, that's a Happy New Year sign in the back. It's awesome.
We then found some vegan ice cream-- made with cashew milk which was TA-sty! It was seriously some of the best ice cream I've ever had-- don't knock it until you try it!
Waiting for the subway... SO chilly!!
We took them to donut plant because I was convinced that they were vegan donuts. But then we got there and it turned out they were only vegetarian.. meaning they didn't contain eggs, but they still had milk. Soooo Leticia and I just ate our donuts in front of Jamy and Katie. Oops! Come on, we couldn't just not eat them! And it was fine, because there was a vegan bakery around the corner-- of course. So everyone won!
We went into Brookstone to play with the gadgets-- and Katie was alarmed by the massage chair. This is her real-time face when she turned it on - HAHA.
We went and saw James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave in Driving Miss Daisy on Broadway and it was so great! Hooray for Half Price Tickets!
We went to the Met and admired some art...
And then went for some more vegan cuisine!
Probably 75% of this picture is soy-- but man was it tasty!
Katie's hot chocolate-- we think maybe the barista signed his/her creation?
Trip to Central Park.. not as cute as the snow starts melting.
Don't judge the fur.
All in all, the trip was so much fun and it was so wonderful to have more fellow Texas up here in ole NYC. There can never be enough really! So thanks Katie and Jamy for making the trek!


2 comments:

  1. Firstly, not sure how Katie would feel about being called a Texan. Secondly, I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a blast- thanks for showing us a good time! And don't worry Erika, Katie is a Texan, no matter what she says. We miss you too! Come see us! :)

    ReplyDelete