Monday, February 7, 2011

"Wintry Mix"


Friends... I know I have already discussed weather FAR too much... but I feel like I can't effectively convey how much I feel like I live in a different world these days. Every day I wake up in the heated apartment and think to myself "Oh it's not that cold outside... maybe I can not wear tights under my pants today and have the awkward my-tights-are-too-high-but-if-I-roll-them-down-I-look-awkward situation"... and then I go outside and hate myself. And trek back upstairs to put on the appropriate amount of layers. Snow is pretty, yes. It's been interesting to experience this "winter" business. But this "wintry mix" situation?? All that means is horizontal rain turning into icy puddles that flood your boots you previously believed to be waterproof. Not okay. This week we've had a bit of a warm front, moving into the 40's, but tomorrow I look on the weather forecast and I see the dreaded words... "wintry mix"... and visions of beaches and flipflops begin dancing in my head. Also it's important to note that a "snow day" here doesn't mean that there's no work. No no... it means there may be a little lenience as to if I arrive at 9:10 rather than 9:00, but no snow angels and hot chocolate when 3 inches fall in ole Central Texas. I'm dealing slowly with the bitterness I feel in my heart toward all my friends in Dallas who experienced a week without work. :)

ANYWAY-- I say all of this about the weather to say that the winter blues are a real thing and they have been weighing us down here in ole Glendale! So last weekend Leticia and I said NO MORE and went out for a night on the TOWN! Leticia knows a chef and one of the bartenders at this super swanky steakhouse in the city so we pulled out the dusty dresses from the back of the closet and got all fancy for a night o'fun. This particular weekend, our subway decided to do maintenance on ONLY our stop. There are literally over 30 stops on the M line, and they decided that only Fresh Pond Road would be closed. Awesome. Thank you. So we waited for the bus... in the snow. For 25 minutes. We were not amused....

I know she appears to be happy in this picture, but it was taken between complaints about straight hair becoming curly and cursing at the bus. (Ok except not really cursing... come on, we're ladies.)

But ohhhh the wait was WORTH it when we started our dining experience. We went to say hello to Leticia's bartender friend where Leticia smoothly ordered her mojito with confidence and I proceed to have this conversation...

Bartender: "What are you drinking tonight?"
Me: "Um, well I only like really sweet things. I have the pallet of a child."
Bartender: "Anything in particular?"
Me: "I don't know... I like juice?"
Bartender: (Look of judgement) "I think I can make something you like."

And she did! She called it a barefoot martini... although it might have just been juice. Which is fine with me since she gave them to us for FREE. Love the connections!

Dinner was super tasty and we ordered two desserts... and then they gave us a third one just for being awesome! (Slash again because Leticia knows fancy people) I need to explain to you that those little bottles next to the donut holes are full of filling that you inject into the donut holes yourself. It is both a dessert AND a craft. You know how I love multitasking...


The dinner was per-fect. And an excellent cure for our wintry mix depression that had been looming about. SO thankful I have a roomie who knows how to have a good time :) After dinner we went to see Country Strong. Definitely a struggling script and rough ending... but MAN all I wanted to do was listen to country music after! So I immediately downloaded the album and listened to it all week at work. No shame!

In other news... this is a sign posted right next to where I work that I just noticed...
Noted. I'm still gonna carry my mace.

Also, we saw this man in front of us while waiting to get on the bus...
You might think, oh weird, he's wearing shorts and it's cold. That's silly. But you'd only be partly correct, because what he has under that coat can only be described as a woman's floral nighty. With tennis shoes. Public transportation... the gift that keeps on giving.

So in summary, this weather is crazy and so is this city. That's all there is to it!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I bought the soundtrack on itunes as soon as I got back from watching the movie too... didn't realize there were actually 3 different soundtracks! but I feel like I lucked out with the one I picked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet Sara....I enjoy reading your blog. I never have logged in to leave a comment but I just wanted you to know that I have been a follower:)

    ReplyDelete